Thursday, June 26, 2008

HIPLATE Experience - Phase 1

So recently I came into possession of a lot of pictures taken during my time in Memphis for my research experiments. I thus got inspired to write a post (actually its going to be a series of posts) recapping my experiences at the LCC (US Navy's Large Cavitation Channel) in Memphis working with the HIPLATE (the term we use for our test model). This phase of testing took place in the fall of 2004. Phase 1 of my experience with HIPLATE was actually the third time the model was tested (I obviously wasn't involved in the first two tests). I was actually only hired for this test as an hourly worker and was only down there for the installation of HIPLATE...who would have guessed that I would return for another 3 tests (and possibly 4 now). While I was just hired to turn a wrench, it was that ability that got me my funding for my PhD. As my advisor said "there is value in a student that is able to do something besides hurt themselves, hurt others, or break something with a tool." I think he had some doubts as to whether I could do the intellectual stuff, but I think I've handled it pretty well (actually better than I even expected and I'm pretty self confident).

First I must introduce everyone to the HIPLATE. The picture below shows the model in its three sections. When installed in the LCC tunnel it makes one very large flat plate...really nothing too fancy about it besides how big it is (total weight is 21 tons). Also in the picture is what I did the majority of my time in Memphis during this test...grinding away. To date these two weeks were the two worst weeks in Memphis, and as Sherry can testify to I have had plenty of dark days down there since these two weeks. I would say the highlight for me was when we came in at 6am like normal only to work have the day, get sent back to the hotel for a few hours, and then return in the evening to work through the night...on what was suppose to be my last day in Memphis.

HIPLATE model in pieces and me grinding on one of the 3 pieces.

Now I have to introduce everyone to the important people for this phase of testing. The Michigan crew had four primary people (pictured below) that actually created a rather interesting personal dynamic in Memphis. I personally get along quite well with all of them, but there happened to be some communications issues between two of them that made for some interesting stories.
The key Michigan contributors to this phase of HIPLATE testing.

And I must give credit the LCC crew...these guys are always good for some stories in Memphis. I've been fortunate enough to get along really well with these guys, but Michigan didn't exactly have a great track record (from what I hear) with them prior to Eric and I beginning to work on down there. The picture below shows probably about half the crew, I'm missing Jerry, Bob, Mike, Ken, Marty, Tony (this guy is famous now amongst Michigan people...you'll find out why in the next HIPLATE post) and a few others.

Part of the LCC crew.

In the lot of pictures there were quite a few that captured exactly what I spent the vast majority of my time doing...grinding, bondoing, sanding, and polishing.

Me grinding...I did this for over 10 hours in one day.

Me sanding down my Bondo job.

With all that bondoing, sanding, and polishing the HIPLATE was looking rather nice by the time we installed it in the tunnel for testing.

Check out the mirror finish we had on the HIPLATE before testing...pretty nice.

2 comments:

beneathwing said...

I was confused by the title at first, because I thought it was Phase 3 or something like that. But after careful reading and re-reading, I realized that it's hiplate EXPERIENCE phase 1. Now I cann have peace with that.

Ahh, Steve's wisdom. I miss that. If we were Ciara, we could have written a book out of his daily comments.

It is interesting that although I found you a little bit annoying when I first met you, I still thought you would be a great graduate student for Steve. And you have definitely proved it.

My response was "wow" when you said "to date these two weeks were the two worst weeks in Memphis". So this probably testifies your statement. I had to point out though that grinding after the the plate was installed must be more painful. I saw you doing that. But I guess it was less hours, so it's better.

In this test there were times when Eric, Ghanem and I were down there. That was fun.

Mrs. Starman said...

Bondo, sanding and polishing... now I KNOW that you've made the big time!