*these are my top moments so I'm not including the larger accomplishment of Phelps winning 8 total gold medals...seriously its hard to even comprehend that one.
(10) Since the rest of the list is going to be all United States accomplishments I'll start off by splitting number 10 in half with my two best non-US performances that I saw.
a) Jamaica's Usain Bolt in the 100 and 200 meter sprints. I've never seen someone win the 100 m by such a large margin in the Olympics. It was amazing and I was really glad to see less show boating in the 200 m after he got some grief about the way he finished the 100 m sprint.
b) China's Yang Wei in gymnastics did some really amazing stuff. The best was what he did on the rings...impressive.
(9) The US men's indoor volleyball team winning gold against the favored Brazil. This was special since they started the Olympics without their head coach as he was taking time off after his father-in-law was murdered in Beijing.
(8) Jonathan Horton was such a great team leader that it was really great to see him win silver in the high bar (and just missed the gold...the crowd seemed like they thought he deserved the gold after the score was posted). He added a bunch of additional moves to his routine to try and improve his start value (something the announcers said usually ends in disaster) and performed it perfectly.
(7) The US men's basketball winning the gold medal once again...sure everyone expected it, but that doesn't take away from the accomplishment. Plus after Athens we needed redemption because that was an embarrassment...it isn't embarrassing to lose but to not put forth the best you have in the Olympics is. So I'm proud of not only their accomplishment but also how they carried themselves this year.
(6) Shawn Johnson winning the gold medal in the final event for the women's gymnastics, the balance beam. She seemed to have such a good attitude and was so good that it was really nice to see her finally get a gold medal...she is just a little ball of muscle.
(5) Nastia Liukin winning the women's overall individual gold medal...her floor routine was so great that she left no room for doubt about who deserved it.
(4) Beach Volleyball - I'm lumping the men's and women's gold winning performances together...just make room on the list. Both May-Treanor/Walsh and Dalhauser/Rogers were great. Best May/Walsh moment was Walsh's final kill and their celebration and Dalhauser/Rogers would be in the third set for the gold when Dalhauser took over the match.
(3) Michael Phelps tying Spitz with "the touch" in the men's 100 meter butterfly. Everyone watching was rather confident that he had won silver, but to everyone's amazement he won by 0.01 seconds. I was actually thinking there was a mistake and that Phelps wasn't going to get the medal after a review, but you watch the video and sure enough Phelps' hands just shoot in there at the last moment to touch the wall.
(2) Alexander 'Sasha' Artemev was only on the men's gymnastics team as an alternate, but man he had an amazing moment. After having his two teammates do quite poor on the pommel horse they were in danger of missing out on the men's team bronze medal. Sasha got up and did an amazing routine that had me applauding at home by myself.
(1) Jason Lezak swimming faster then he had ever swam before in the men's 4x100 meter relay to beat out the French who had a commanding lead with less than half the pool length to go and keep Phelps' hope of 8 gold medals alive. This race had me not only interested in the Olympics but addicted to it...how could I risk missing a race like this one.