Sunday, June 25, 2006

Trip to Memphis

This afternoon I arrived in Memphis after two days on the road. The first day was pretty uneventful with the exception of a slight shift in my load. I was driving through Kentucky on a rather bumpy and rough road when suddenly my load shifted weight. Anyone that has had this happened they know that it isn’t too much fun, but it happened right at an exit so I just pulled off and resecured the load. The rest of the day was boring…the coolest thing is that I got to spend the night in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. This was only interesting because a movie was based in this town and Sherry recently wrote an entry about it and reminisced about Memphis.

Then today a couple weird things happened…both of which were rather odd. The first really, really creeped me out. I stopped at a rest area to stretch my legs and go to the bathroom. I walk in to the bathroom and there is a guy that is acting a little odd at the urinal. I ignore him and walk up to go to the bathroom and the guy leans over the divider and looks straight down. I turned to him and asked what in the world did he think he was doing. He simply turned around and walked out…and this guy was a normal looking 60 year old guy. I walked out and looked to see where he went (I was wondering if he was some pervert hanging around so I could try to do something) and I saw him getting into his car with his wife. Seriously that freaked me out…it was definitely not a mistake.

Then I drive on for a few hundred miles and I see these three unmarked police SUVs sitting in the median area of the highway. I drove past and one of them takes off. It follows me for a few miles, but since I wasn’t speeding I really didn’t care. Then he pulled into the opposite lane and drove just behind my truck for a couple miles (this resulted him numerous cars getting piled up behind since I was only going about 60mph). Next he slowly pulls up so he is even with the cab of my truck…I look over at him and as soon as I do this he slams on his brakes and pulls off the road. It was really kind of crazy because he literally just bailed right into the grass median then wiped around to start driving the opposite direction. I have no idea what this was all about but it was interesting.

One other interesting thing is that now I’m back in the south I’m starting to remember all the interesting phrases that you get to hear. I’m sure I’ll make an entry about it at some point, but for a little taste in only two days I’ve heard “if you come across a turtle on a fence post you know he didn’t get there on his own” three times.

5 comments:

beneathwing said...

I think those guys (including the cop) were doing things simply to attract your attention.

You know, like I threw things at you in the office. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you made it safe and sound. Don't work to hard and we will see you soon.
AE

Anonymous said...

creeeeepy. people on/off the interstate can be pretty scary- did I ever tell you about my friend Evan and the pimp one day and the girlscouts the next when he was driving to Florida?

I am glad you got there safely!

man, I love southern talk. I can't wait until you post that entry!

I hope you're surviving so far down there...

Elbow said...

Ummmm...no Ciara you haven't told me about your friend Evan, the pimp, and the girlscouts. Though I looke forward to hearing this story...I think it would make a great "It's like the time..."

Elbow said...

Joel as a Yankee I really don't know how the turtle got on the fence post, but I'm sure I'll have the answer by the time I get done.

I don't know if that couple were swingers but they certainly were creeeeeepy as Ciara said. By the way, the whole convincing your cubemate that swingers just love swing dancing is pretty awesome...good work.