Thursday, June 08, 2006

Heaven

As a Christian I think this should be an easy topic to discuss, but it is actually the one that I have the most difficult time with. Recently my friend Sherry asked me what heaven would be like (or at least what I thought it would be like). I basically avoided the question as best I could. Also after giving my slice of life I was suppose to lead a Bible study on heaven since the sermon that followed was about it…I was so nervous and really didn't want to have to lead that one (I’ll take on the topic of hell before heaven). The problem is almost every passage that talks about heaven in detail is in Revelations…only a brave man tries to explain that book with confidence. However, Sherry being the persistent inquirer kept asking me questions, and as a result I’ve been able to learn more about my own faith…this is why I love apologetics. I would like to share two of these realizations about heaven.

First it became clear why there aren’t many descriptions about what heaven will be like (at least in any detail). The only thing that a detailed picture of heaven could do would be to keep people out of it. I expect it to be more wonderful than my wildest dreams, but that isn’t and can’t be the reason for my desire to go there. God has revealed Himself to us in scripture and tells us that in heaven we will be with Him. That fact alone should make me want to be there more than anything…if it doesn’t than that shows that my heart doesn’t desire to be with God. Had He given a detailed description of heaven in the Bible there would be some people that would spend their lives dreaming about the joy that awaits them in heaven, but never caring about God…to those it would be so much more likely for God to say “I never knew you. Away from me…” (Matthew 7:21-23) in the end.

Another interesting question that arose was about loved ones being with us…the basic question would be something along the lines of “how could I be happy knowing that my loved ones were in hell?” That was a question that I never had a good answer for. Sherry and I were talking about it, and when I finally made an attempt to describe my vision of heaven somewhat of an answer came to light. Part of my difficultly with this question is that my family is Christian so there is some comfort there that a new believer won’t have…basically I feel like a hypocrite to try and convince them that this question isn’t a problem. However in reality my vision of heaven has never included my family…I haven’t found anywhere in scripture where it is promised that we will know who our earthly family was when we are there (I not saying I rule out the possibility but that I don’t see where this is a given). For this reason I feel more comfortable with the question because since my heavenly view is just God and myself there can’t be any hypocrisy. If anyone struggles with this possibility then they are choosing someone else over God. If you choose anything over God (even your family…”Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me…” Matthew 10:37-39) you aren’t choosing to be with God. This puts them in the same situation as above because they would now be looking at heaven as a way to continue the relationships that they actually care about, but God has prepared heaven as a place for us to be with Him.

I think I did a poor job explaining what I recently came to terms with, but the simple fact (one that I’ve always known but better understand now) is that God has to be our focus and the one we love above all others. He is not one that can be used to get what we want (whether it be more time with our family after we die or the fulfillment of our earthly desires), but He loves us and heaven awaits for those that love Him above all.

5 comments:

beneathwing said...

I think you are doing a pretty good job explaining your point here. But the question still remains.

There is a huge difference between being unable to be with your loved ones in heaven and knowing that they are in hell.

It is not about whether or not you choose God over anything or anyone else. Like being in love, it is wonderful when you are being with the person you love most in the world and at the same time knowing your family are fine somewhere.

However, unless you are saying this one person is everything to you, you can't have the complete joy if you know the people you also care and love are suffering terribly, even if they don't know you any more.

Elbow said...

That is a good question...one that I still don't feel comfortable. Baby steps Sherry...I now feel better about the not having them with you, but I don't have much to say about the knowledge that they aren't with you. My opinion lies along the idea that when we die we will be able to see the full love and justness of God, which will make this question much easier to handle.

beneathwing said...

I just found this in "the problem of pain":

Heaven offers nothing that a mercenary soul can desire. It is safe to tell the pure in heart that they shall see God, for only the pure in heart want to. There are recwards that do not sully motives.

Anonymous said...

Well, kiddos, luckily for all of us, "The Journey Of Desire" does talk about heaven quite a bit. :) Brian, when are you going to start reading it??

These are some of the biggest questions of Christianity here! And I don't think that there is going to be a provable "answer, but I do think that it all boils down to two things: faith and God's perfect justice. It takes faith to trust that when God says that heaven will be much better than earth, it will be. And if we can see things through God's eyes of justice, then everything that doesn't make sense to us here will make sense in heaven, and that can give us peace, too. Does that make sense?

I don't know- that's how I look at it!

For more... read that book!! :)

beneathwing said...

Can heaven being so great be your motivation for living the Christian life?

As I think more about it, maybe the answer depends on how your view of heaven is. If you are in love with God and want to be with him for eternity, there is nothing wrong to say that I become a christian because I want to go to Heaven.

Hmmm, tricky.