Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I Miss My Life

I just completed my day of work, which started at 5:30am and finished at 10:30pm. I managed to work 17 hours today on only 2 hours of sleep…I couldn’t fall asleep the night before because it is about impossible to get my brain to stop thinking about the only thing that consumes my every waking moment. The really sad thing is that it honestly didn’t feel all that much different than any other day of work down here in Memphis…basically I think I’m just constantly exhausted and overworked so what is the difference how extreme the exhaustion becomes.

Me after a day at the LCC - note the red marks from when I almost got stabbed in the eye with a screwdriver...good times

The worst thing about all of this is that in spite of all my hard work and best efforts the results are not looking all that good. It seems like every time we manage to get a problem solved three more appear. I’m not a quitter but sometimes it certainly sounds good. I’ll be the first to say that problems in life make the successes so much sweeter, but right now I feel that there won’t be any successes to be made sweet. Perhaps I’m just over reacting due to the lack of progress and the deep desire to be back to my own life. When I’m in Memphis I never carry my normal set of keys (they only have my apartment, car, and office keys so no need for them in Memphis), but today I needed my jump drive that is on the set so I carried them. Just having my keys made me feel a little better because it felt like I was at work but in Michigan.

I know even when I’m in Ann Arbor I work long hours and don’t get to be at my apartment or visit friends very much, but the little bit makes all the difference. I’m a simple man that just likes to be able to sit and hang with some friends every once in awhile. Heck even just the possibility that someone could call me up and want to hangout is very comforting. However while in Memphis I’m either at the LCC, my hotel room, or a restaurant with no possibility of a friend stopping by or a quick visit to one of them. (I do have Sherry down here and it helps but there really isn't much time for anything but work). I really thought that I could just grit my teeth and get through this like pulling a Band-Aid off, but the test just drags on and is slowly breaking my will.

I’m sure I’ll feel better after a good night sleep…we’ll see.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Brian! You're a hero. Thanks for not giving up. I'm thinking about you while I sit in my new apartment in Lansing. I raise my bottle of delicious Bass Ale to you! But seriously, I will pray for you.

Love,

Troy

Anonymous said...

Well, this post answers my last comment's question... How can I get down there, too??

We all miss you here! And we miss Sherry, too! And we miss Troy!

Keep chugging, Brian... and ask Ceccio for a long weekend back home to get some sleep... as your personal assistant, I command it!!! (well, I am requesting it at least...)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, and btw... what about the screwdriver??? Did you forget all of my safety instuctions?? :)

Elbow said...

Ciara - We definitely need you down here just to make sure I don't kill myself. Seriously I'm even starting to think I'm doing dangerous stuff.

The screwdriver thing involved a large metal bowl (the same one that I had you take apart...your first job for me) falling onto the screwdriver I was holding. It than flipped in the air (scratching below my eye and my neck) before I caught it in the air. Sadly I was just relieved that I didn't let it fall and break.

Mrs. Starman said...

Pray for strength, trust in God and know that there is a bigger plan that you may not understand.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Brian! God will give you the strength that you need. Trust in God! Mom & Dad are praying for you! We are so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I remember that I felt pretty broken back then. That's probably why I didn't say anything about this one. As I am writing this, I can almost see the old wounds.