Sunday, July 16, 2006

Smoking

There is plenty of bad publicity for smoking now a days with the whole cancer, death, addiction, etc, but today I got thinking about the positives to smoking (ok so if you are easily influenced by stupid comments from random people you may want to stop reading).

Today I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden the thought popped into my head that I wished I was a smoker. Now I thought it was kind of funny since I hate smoking, have only tried half a cigarette in my life, and in reality I would never ever actually become a smoker. I quickly decided that this is one of those thoughts that working 12-14 hours a day in Memphis brings on. I believe there are two things that made me think it would be a good idea to be a smoker: (1) you can take breaks all the time…if you are a smoker at work you can just step outside and hangout for a few minutes whenever you want, but a non-smoker can only go to the bathroom or get a drink of water…neither are ideal hangouts and shouldn’t take all that long. (2) When your life becomes stressful you have something to do that "calms" you…alright I know this one is bad because we should be going to God in those moments and an addiction only gives temporary relief not healing, but from a purely earthly mentality it has its benefits. I’m going to stick with the non-smoker position, but I thought I should share the less talked about benefits of smoking.

Now with this random thought it has afforded me the opportunity to share with everyone my all time favorite smoking story. I was in high school and my friend Eric and I were hanging out at my house when we decided to take off for somewhere (I don’t know where). I saw that my dad’s pickup truck was in the drive way so I decided to take his truck instead of my car. We go and hop into the truck and immediately notice that it stinks of cigarette smoke. The smell was so bad that whoever was smoking in there had to of been smoking with the windows rolled up. I came home that night and ask my dad what was up with his pickup (no one in my family smokes so I figured someone else must have been with my dad or borrowed the pickup). Now if my dad could lie he certainly would have taken this opportunity to try and pull one over on us, but he is honest and fessed up to smoking with his buddy in the pickup. Apparently he and his friend were out golfing when they found a pack of cigarettes. The two of them got the bright idea of taking this pack and smoking them…obviously in my dad’s pickup. So like a couple of teenagers they took this random pack of cigarettes to their car and smoked one. So after my dad told us the story and we gave him a hard time about it he added the cherry on top of this story…they were smoking Virginia Slims. To this day I'll ask my dad if he needs a smoke, and he usually says they aren’t his kind (at least if they aren’t Virginia Slims).

6 comments:

beneathwing said...

As for releasing the stress, I think smoking is better than drinking, because at least you can remain sober. :)

But in Memphis I will probably go numb.

Elbow said...

I'm sorry, but a nice drink is much better than a smoke. The only way that it isn't is that you can take 5 minute breaks a few times a day to have a drink like you can a smoke. Drinking doesn't make your mouth feel like you licked a burn barrel, you don't have to go outside during the winter, you don't inflict potential death on those around you while doing it, and nothing beats a really cold beer after a long day of work.

Anonymous said...

I USE TO SMOKE VIRGINIA SLIMS,
THOSE SMOKES SURE GAVE ME A BUZZZ

beneathwing said...

Smoking is very handy. You don't have to smoke around people. A cold beer is also what I want afer a long summer day, but if you are taking a break in-between work, smoking is definitely more practical.

Mrs. Starman said...

WOW! I had forgotten that story!
I am laughing so hard in my office that I have tears in my eyes.
Good Stuff.

Anonymous said...

oh, man, don't get me started about smoking!

Although I will say this: in high school and the beginning of college, I used to get offered cigarettes by people I had just met pretty much all of the time, and they'd always be really surprised by my reaction of "no, thanks, I don't smoke"! Maybe it was because I was a drama geek, or it was the bloodshot eyes (I was really tired!), or the yellow teeth (they didn't have whiteners back then), or my generally neurotic personality? :)

I think my biggest personal beef with smoking is that costs so much money! I hate spending money. Hate hate hate it! I am just going to be addicted to the GSN... at least it's free with cable. :)

That's funny to think of your dad smoking in the car like a teen!

Oh, and I like beer and everything, but I don't know if I'd talk about it like it's "refreshing" or "doesn't make your mouth feel like you licked something gross". :)

Side note: I just found 3 mosquito bits on my back. West Nile, here I come!