Thursday, July 10, 2008

Goodbye Tiger Stadium


Tiger Stadium (pictured taken in April by Dem)

The stadium is currently being demolished. While it maybe necessary it's still sad to see the old stadium go. Not so much even because of the sports history that it holds, but because of personal memories. For me it was the place me and my dad (plus other family members and friends sometimes) went once a year to see a Tiger's game. My memories are filled with peanuts, my first sight of a prostitute, learning why you should stick with the crowd after games, walking up those famous ramps, getting on the news for heckling the team (I feel a little bad since I was harassing the Tigers), getting tons of free food from fast food places late at night (it would be late and they would just want to get rid of food), driving home really late at night, wishing that I could catch a baseball, and watching the game. Thanks dad for taking me.

Tiger Stadium seats seen threw the demolished exterior of the stadium.
(RASHAUN RUCKER / Detroit Free Press)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's always sad to see something so big get demolished; maybe it's just me, but when i see a big building get torn down it makes me kind of sad. Tiger Stadium, though, has such sentimental value for so many michiganders- it's extra sad. I saw my first baseball game there at the age of 5 and fell asleep during most of it. I think. this memory is fuzzy- maybe my parents can fill in the blanks?

Anonymous said...

It truly was my pleasure to take you there!!

Unknown said...

Wow!! Dem talking at length about a sports posting?!?! Might be the first and only time - LOL. In any case, well said. That's 88 seasons worth of history at the old stadium.