Thursday, April 10, 2008

American Idol Gives Back

So last night I watched American Idol Gives Back. It was alright and its good that they are raising money for a bunch of good causes, but what really impressed me was at the end of the show. At the close of the show they announce that they'll close out the show with the final 8 contestants singing "Shout to the Lord." I was like "they can't really be playing a Christian worship song on national television, but sure enough they did. However there is a "but", they had to edit the song by removing Jesus' name. The start of the song is suppose to be "My Jesus, My Saviour", but they sang "My Shepherd, My Savior." I have mixed feelings about this because on the one hand I'm really glad they played it (I would rather have an edited version played than no version), but I'm also really frustrated that you can't say Jesus on national television. Though I guess Jesus did say in Matthew 10:35 that he came to divide and apparently only Jesus' name is offensive to people today. Basically after some thought I've decided I'm glad it was played because for Christians there is no mistaking that as a Christian worship song and for non-Christians if they liked it they might go and get the original version.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>I was like "they can't really be playing a Christian worship song on national television, but sure enough they did.

Was it really a "christian song" when the name of Christ is cut out?

>>I would rather have an edited version played than no version

Why? So all the people who heard it could 'feel good' ?

There are probably 1,000s of songs that are "christian" which don't
have the word Jesus in them. Many of them would have been great for A.I. to use, no editing required.

Someone CHOSE to use that song, and someone CHOSE to edit the words, this is the world's way of doing things. Obviously A.I. is anti-christ.

Mrs. Starman said...

Lee, strong words.
While I don't disagree with you, I do challenge you to take a step back.
AI is a national show... the reality is that, nation-wide, there are more religeons than Christianity. While I don't think AI's intent is to spread the Good News, shouldn't we, as Christians, take solice in every step?
Who knows how many people are talking about last night's show? Who knows what their believes are? If a non-Christian heard that song and wanted to hear more, might that lead them to Christ? Even if one person became curious about that song, isn't it worth it? God works in mysterious ways. Who are we to challenge the windows that He may open?

Elbow said...

Lee,
While it certainly felt weird that they went and removed only that word from the song, I certainly won't say that AI is anti-Christ. I would agree that it is run by non-Christians, but you are flat out wrong saying they are anti-Christ. Apparently you didn't actually watch any of the show since only moments prior to singing "Shout to the Lord" Mariah Carey sang a worship song in which she used Jesus' name several times threw out the song. Plus a couple weeks ago Dolly Parton performed "Jesus and Gravity", which is all about how Jesus lifts her up. So I understand that it kind of stinks that they choose to remove Jesus from that song, but I think you are making a big stretch to claim that AI is anti-Christian.
And by the way, when people don't do their homework first and go out making claims of bias you prevent people from taking us seriously when there is an actual bias.

Also, Renee...well said.

tahmmee said...

"Who knows how many people are talking about last night's show? "

Apparently a lot because they just did the song a few minutes ago with the original opening "My Jesus, My savior." I'm pretty happy that they were willing to "redo" it, but I kind of have mixed feelings because the motivation is probably to maintain ratings, tho I wouldn't doubt that there were people behind the scenes that wanted to do the song as is from the very beginning.

beneathwing said...

I totally agree with Renee here.