Friday, January 11, 2008

Prelim and Photoshop

Today I gave my preliminary examination presentation. Basically this is suppose to be where I present the planned experiments that I’m going to perform to acquire my PhD. However, my experiments are already 99% completed, which means this would have been a horrible time to find out that the committee strongly disagrees with my experimental plan. Fortunately I gave the talk, everyone seemed to be happy with it, and after some paperwork I will now be an official PhD candidate. Thus today I have jumped through yet another hoop only really leaving the largest hoop…the writing and defense of my dissertation. One big bonus from this preliminary examination was that I think I’ve settled on the title for my dissertation: “Surface roughness effects on polymer degradation and diffusion within a high-Reynolds-number turbulent boundary layer.”

In addition thanks for guidance from Demoree on some of the basics of photoshop I have become…um…lets say not completely ignorant of the capabilities of photoshop. Before last night I’ve only used this knowledge to do some touching up of personal pictures for this blog, but last night I got thinking about how I have hundreds of images taken during testing that don’t look good because lighting is very poor. I played with it a bit and sure enough I was able to turn pictures that provided information but looked crappy into nice and informative pictures…so credit the blog with producing a useful skill for work. Below is an example of one such image that I’ve always been disappointed in the way it looked, but after some filtering of the image it looks much more like the real flow.

Original image of dye being injected into the tunnel.


Corrected image of dye being injected into the tunnel.

6 comments:

demoreeann said...

Great job! I'm proud of you. And I'm glad to know that both me & the blog helped you professionally. and yay for a name!

Mrs. Starman said...

Great job B! Like the pic... everything is so much clearer.

Anonymous said...

is that fudging data? jk

belbing said...

I know the comment about "fudging data" was a joke, but being a researcher I feel I have to stress this is in no way fudging data. In fact it is the complete opposite. The picture I originally took is not the way it looked in Memphis during the experiment, but by filtering the image it does appear the same as it looked in Memphis. Thus if I were to use the orginal image it won't accurately portray what was seen in the experiment (i.e. bad information), but if I filter the image I now can convey reality to the viewer of that image.
However I would say someone is fudging their results if they were to alter, in anyway, the actual features of the image and not just the brightness/contrast because its the features that are the real information...thus altering them would be creating or destroying the actual data set.

Anonymous said...

Digital image processing is commonly used in fluid measurements. It is in fact essential to filter out the backgroud noises by using some threshold or weighting function so that the results represent the real physics more accurately.

:))

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was just kidding! couldn't help it! I wish I could have filtered gel images when writing my thesis, that may have helped see the bands lost in the scans.