Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Fixing Stuff"

The current experiment I have been setting up to run has been going pretty smoothly...a nice change of pace. I then go to setup our optical components and sure enough my computer won't recognize the camera it has been using for the past 4 years...alright there must be an easy fix to this. After making several attempts to correct the problem within the software I finally decide that the only thing that makes sense is to uninstall the software and then reinstall...thus reverting back to the old settings of when the camera worked properly. However DaVis software will only install properly if the cd used and the dongle (a little thing you plug into the computer that confirms the users software license) match. So after uninstalling it turns out I have no idea where the correct cd is(I have a pile of other cds for this license but need this particular one). So after spending the past ~8 hours attempting to "fix" this problem I now don't even have access to the software to run my equipment...I knew it was only a matter of time before I put in some solid negative-work. So in my final task for the day I sent a dejected email to the tech people stating the steps that I took to "fix" my software problem and asking how bad I'd screwed things up.
On the up side though...each failure/screw up is the best opportunity for learning, thus I have just learned something...wait...no, I'm pretty sure if I get into a similar situation I'll try and fix it myself again...oh well, I'm going home.

2 comments:

Mrs. Starman said...

The only thing more frustrating than experiencing a malfunction, is learning that I have made it worse by trying to "fix" the problem. The only words of comfort for you are that you are certainly not alone. I have JUST enough knowledge on most things to screw them up really badly.That's a proud realization.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there to help.