Thursday, May 03, 2007

Go Wings!!!

Tonight I was at home planning on writing about the effects of roughness on skin-friction measurements in a turbulent boundary layer when I got a call from a buddy saying that some friends were watching the wings game a BW3. With the dilemma of should I work on a paper or watch Red Wing playoff hockey there was only one solution…Wings!!! Now I did wait until the end of the first period to go so I could get started on the paper…so I didn’t totally bail on my objective.
Originally I planned on listening to the game on the radio since not even the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is playing the series. That didn’t bother me too much since (to be honest) I really thought we were going to lose this game…sorry but San Jose is very fast, strong, and the Wings don’t match up well against them, which made me think it would be very difficult (not impossible) to get a win on their ice when they have the momentum. It was so nice to see the Red Wings play hard tonight…we now have a completely new series. It’s now a best of three with two of the games at the Joe.
On my way home all I could think about was how much I would have been kicking myself if I hadn’t went and watched the game…it would have been torture to listen to that game on the radio. For those that didn’t get to see it the Wings were down by one with under a minute to play in the game. At the one minute mark we pulled our goalie and then at 33.1 seconds left on the clock Robert Lang (dad you had the right guy for the wrong game) scored to tie the game and put it into overtime. Then in overtime the Wings looked like they were the better team playing that game (something that hasn’t been the case for this entire series). My main concern was that San Jose was going to get a lucky goal and win the game. But then Matthieu Schneider scored a power-play goal to end the game…seriously it was sweet!!!
I was also glad to see Holmstrom back on the ice for the Wings…not to mention that sweet goal with only a few second left in the second period. Honestly that was pretty impressive to see him swat that right out of the air…hopefully with Holmstrom and the momentum the Wings can take control of this series.

2 comments:

Trudi said...

Agree on every single point you made about the Wings. I was extremely nervous about one bad play or bounce in OT and San Jose would win it. It was nice to see the Detroit team I know and LOVE play their hearts out in overtime.

6 down, 10 to go!

Anonymous said...

Red Wing lost, right? But they played well, if I remember correctly the conversation between you and Trudi.