Thursday, May 25, 2006

Eureka

So in my entry entitled “Why do I do research?” I talked about the 1% of research that really makes someone want to do it. Well tonight the eureka of science hit…I’m probably over playing this because we didn’t discover anything new, but we had success with something that’s been really troubling us. All the work and trouble that has been bothering me has been with respect to getting an image of dots…seriously. I wanted so desperately to get a picture that was nearly entirely black with small white dots.

I had hoped to have this image in February, but for numerous reasons I really didn’t even start trying to get it until a few weeks ago. As of this morning we were no where close to getting it…my estimate was that we might have it by middle of next week. Then after dinner I went back to the lab and spent a little time with the system and got something that looked pretty good…I then called Sherry since she knows more about it than me. She came down and confirmed that my images looked good. We then decided to go for the mother of all white dot pictures (I’ll spare you the details that make this difficult and special of a picture). Even before we started we both agreed that we won’t be disappointed if we failed…since we should be excited that I finally got something decent. Well in only a little while we had done it…the joy was so great that we really couldn’t believe that it happened. Not only had we got it, but it went so smoothly after being able to get nothing for so, so long.

Now I get a chance to bring home my point about how it can be so difficult to do research. Right now is one of those very rare moments when things work and you can celebrate, but like I had said thanks to the nature of research you can’t even truly share joy or sorrow with anyone. Below I’ve attached the picture that gave Sherry and I overwhelming excitement…no one else on this planet (excluding our research team) should get excited when they see this picture. Man it is tough being a nerd…but I am what I am.

Little White Dots of Joy (actual contrast is much better)

9 comments:

beneathwing said...

Man, I thought you were joking!

Elbow said...

Sherry, I am a man of my word...if I say I'm going to post about something then it will happen. I'm not ashamed to be a nerd!

Anonymous said...

Man you update often. Well I'm glad you got the flow or whatever it is you were hoping for. Can you take a break then?

Elbow said...

yeah...I'm a writing machine. Basically every night I need to either read or write just so I can get my mind on something other than work. If I don't I can't sleep. As for taking a break...no. This just gives a glimmer of hope for starting the test as scheduled (we are still extremely behind schedule).

beneathwing said...

What are you talking about? We can make it!!! Yes!!!

All we have to do is nothing except hoping some miracle would happen on Wednesdays. :))

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am excited for you!! Maybe my absence is giving you some good luck (even without the i_e__ea_ , _oo_ie , _a___i__!)

Elbow said...

Sherry...we will make it (you never know)

#1 employee...oh how quickly you forget that that was the day that you bought the second i_e__ea_ , _oo_ie , _a___i__! The power was increased by the addition of free food from Sherry's parents. Thus I conclude that when people give me food everything goes right.

Elbow said...

Man Joel, I wish I would have thought of google. They do have everything. Plus those dots are much better than mine.

Anonymous said...

I feel warm inside