Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Marijuana

This afternoonI was talking with my advisor and he mentioned that he would have to go to a conference in Amsterdam. This led into a conversation about how marijuana is available there. So I guess while I paid no attention to the conversation it must’ve had an impacted on me because it had me thinking about weed while driving home this evening.

From this train of thought I decided to write an entry on the chronic. I was thinking of two stories related to it. The one is kind of a sentimental story, and the other is a funny story. Based on my mood I have to go with the funny story here. Now I have never smoked marijuana, but I’ve been around it quite a bit. As a result no one has ever really believed me that I’ve never done it. It also didn’t help that while I was in high school my behavior kind of mimicked that of the class stoners…this is the story that I was thinking of.

Basically every morning I would get up really late for school, put in my contacts, and speed off to school. Since my eyes were dry the contacts would hurt really bad giving me bloodshot eyes (strong indicator of a weed smoker). Then I would arrive just after the last bell would ring (I was tardy to class every single day, but my coach was the teacher and if he gave me a seventh hour I won’t be able to practice), and would walk into the school with all the stoners that were smoking in the parking lot. They would even say as I was walking in “hey man why don’t you just smoke with us in the morning.” To which I would reply, “no my eyes are bloodshot because of my contacts,” and their response would be “ha ha, yeah us too…our contacts are dry.” I would then head to class, walk in late, put my head on the desk, and take a short nap. I did this basic routine for my entire junior and senior years.

While I believe my close friends always knew I really didn’t, I certainly think this caused some of my acquaintances to wonder if I was a stoner. At the time I really didn’t care what people thought so I didn’t make any big attempt to clarify the fact that I didn’t smoke. In fact I think due to my odd sense of humor I kind of enjoyed the misunderstanding…I really enjoy ironical situations. Even today I this can give me a good chuckle while thinking about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Brian, you never ate lunch! What about the munchies?? :)

beneathwing said...

Hmmm, I doubt if you are telling the truth...

Elbow said...

Ciara - I'm sorry I wasn't complete with my description of my eating habits...during high school and grad school are the only times that I've eaten a full lunch.

Sherry - no seriously...I'm just this weird

Joel - you're absolutely right...I found it so funny I don't think I ever even attempted to try to clarify with those guys.