Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Diversity

I was driving to watch the Pistons play this evening (man what is wrong with them), and I spotted a bumper sticker that read “celebrate diversity.” I wasn’t going to write anything about it because being a Christian, white male it is difficult to criticize such a statement without being labeled a bigot. Then I got back home and decided what the heck I’ll give it a shot.

Now I have no problem with diversity, but diversity by itself doesn’t make for a better community. Anyone that disagrees with me is probably only thinking of the horrible acts of bigotry from the past. If diversity equals a better community then it would be important to recruit rapists, murderers, and child molesters (not to mention racists) for the university. Certainly if I said this to the person that has the bumper sticker than they would respond with something along the lines of that isn’t the kind of diversity I was talking about. So I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt, and will even make an assumption about what the kind of diversity they want to promote…homosexuality (I’m assuming this because it was written in rainbow colors).

Before I say anything I want to make it clear that I do not include a homosexual in the same category as the argument I made above, and I would welcome them into any group that I’m involved with. Now if someone is non-Christian I have no right to say anything about what they chose to do (1 Corinthians 5:12-13), but I do object to those within the church that would try to say it is alright (while it makes no difference to me personally, scripture is quite clear that homosexuality is a sin). This then brings up the question of why Christians would push for laws that promote our beliefs. Well any Christian that has really tried to follow the law given in Scripture knows that it is given for our good. That means following it will lead to the happiest possible life here on earth. Obviously as concerned citizens and as voters we’ll promote laws that, in our eyes, will be best for society. Besides I would expect any non-Christian to support laws that promote their own beliefs.

As for the hot button topic of late (gay marriage), my objection to this has gotten me a meeting with the vice president of student affairs here at UofM. She had written a letter to the newspaper stating that in order to promote diversity and tolerance we had to come together as a university and fight the law that was passed in Michigan denying gay marriage. I wrote here personally to point out that what she was promoting was the complete opposite of diversity…she wanted everyone in the university to agree with her to promote diversity (either I don’t understand that word or what she was stating is the complete opposite). I also talked about how to say it is discrimination to not allow gay marriage is just flat out false. What they are actually requesting are special privileges offered to married couples (in the eyes of the state that is all marriage is…it isn’t a bond in the eyes of God to them). If they wish to fight discrimination then work to take away those special privileges, otherwise I might as well say if they got it than they are discriminating against me, a single. I do wish to add that I had the meeting with the VP and it was really a pleasant talk…she apologized for not conveying her intended message more clearly, and we talked openly about numerous personal topics including race, abortion, faith, homosexuality, and job ethics. I walked away with much respect for her even though we certainly don’t see eye to eye on every subject.

Now even though I’ve stated that diversity isn’t necessarily a good thing, I do believe in certain cases it is advantageous. For instance if two equally qualified candidates are trying to get into UofM, but one is from a minority group then I say the minority individual offers more to the university and should be accepted. That person offers more because they would have a higher potential of offering a unique perspective on life. All I’m really trying to say here is that (1) diversity doesn’t equal an improved society, and (2) that while we need to love the person we don’t have to agree or support their agenda (I can be friends with a homosexual, but I will not support their agenda that contradicts my beliefs).

Ps.
I’m really quite nervous about posting this because I’m afraid I haven’t been clear enough and will be conveying something I didn’t intend…if that happens I’m blaming it all on Sherry who has been pushing me to post something. I would have posted something lighthearted but all my ideas have been about serious stuff.

5 comments:

beneathwing said...

Yes, I agree that diversity itself doesn't necessarily mean a good or bad thing. It simply exsits.

As for gay marriage, I think they should be given the chance as anybody else.

beneathwing said...

Speaking of diversity, it reminds me of a lady I met years ago here. She kept saying something like "immigrants give us diversity".

I don't know why, but I really hated it when she said that.

Elbow said...

Sherry, now what I'm curious about is what exactly am I not giving them a chance at by not supporting gay marriage. They can still have a relationship, even get married in the eyes of any church that says its ok, the only difference is that the state won't recognize it as a marriage...even with that all I'm doing is as a voter supporting my definition of marriage (I believe I have that right...I don't even ask that anyone agree with me).

beneathwing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elbow said...

DanB - I had your email address but accidently deleted it, so I'm just going to hope you read this again. Perhaps I'll comment on your blog...I do see we are both Christians and my guess is you think I shouldn't be so blunt with my statements...I will admit that I dont' feel comfortable commenting on this topic in writting because it would be so much better to talk one on one with someone.

Joel - you definitely hit on my main point...that everyone has to use their beliefs when casting a vote. If they are doing it some other way, I'm really curious how.