Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Simple Pleasures

I’m sitting at work and there is currently a thunderstorm brewing outside, and I really love thunderstorms. So I decided to write an entry about the simple things in life that really make me happy. So here are my top five (top as in off the top of my head…well not literally) simple pleasures.

1) Thunderstorms
I’ve always loved them from my earliest memories. I love watching them because I think about how amazing God’s creation is, and lightning makes me think about His power…it really gets me pumped when there is a large crash close to me.

2) Basketball
Basketball wasn’t my first love, but man it has been the most passionate…obviously I’m referring specifically to love for a sport. While I rarely get a chance to play, when I do just walking on the court gets me so excited. I love just the feeling of being on the court…honestly I’m more confident in myself when I walk on a court than anywhere else (including meetings about my research…the one thing I spend 90% of my time on).

3) The Fall (not the biblical fall but the season)
Just in general it is the perfect time of year. If you want to go running or playing any kind of sport outside it is at the right temperature. If you are hanging out you can where shorts and a sweatshirt and feel totally comfortable. Not to mention the changing of the leaves, this makes for an awesome run in the woods. Oh how can we forget that it is football season and you can go to the cider mill…man this one is starting to get me a little excited.

4) Smell of a spring rain
Oh yeah, that smell when a warm rain comes down. It just screams of life and rebirth. Everything about it is just awesome.

5) BBQ’s
Now I don’t like to cook, but if you give me meat, flame, and a beer I’m all over the cooking. I don’t know why but just hanging out cooking a piece of meat over a flame really is cool…seriously it is.

There are numerous other items that come to my mind, but in the spirit of just listing the ones that were off the top of my head I will stop.

5 comments:

beneathwing said...

Playing guitar is not in the list, eh?

beneathwing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elbow said...

Sherry - guitar would certainly have to be considered for the top ten simple pleasures in my life, but the list was only the top 5 off the top of my head. So it was just the first 5 that I thought of.

Joel - well it is known that lightning is the result of nature making a giant capacitor between the ground and clouds. However according to www.howstuffworks.com (which is the formost expert on everything) the scientific community is not in agreement on how it is charged.

Anonymous said...

Brian, we all know that wasn't the first 5 you thought of! What about bratwurst?? :)

haha. I like how top ten lists stress Joel out- put it in the spreadsheet!

beneathwing said...

You nerdy engineers...:))