Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Why do I do research?

So I'm sitting here eating my lunch (alone since Sherry didn't come to work), and thinking about whether or not I should get my PhD. Now this is actually a common thought amongst most PhD students. If you don't believe me go to PhD Comics and it will give you a good feel for graduate life. My doubts have changed over the past year, but none the less they definitely exist. Originally I doubted whether I was smart enough to get the degree (especially in fluid mechanics...this is still a question). I really didn't think I had anything to contribute to the research project that I had been working on, and expected to fail my qualifying exam...this would have ended my hopes of getting a PhD. Well over the past year I have passed my qualifying exam and have actually really started to be an asset at my job...I'm even managing the next phase of our project that is funded by DARPA. So while I no longer have doubts about if I'm valuable to our group or if I'm qualified to get a PhD, I still think about quitting probably a few times a week...like right now.

Now I have to ask myself why I feel like I should quit...I suppose it is because that is the nature of research. Research has two primary problems that make it very difficult to pursue. (1) If it is real research then no one has done it (or at least very few)...thus it will be a big pain in the ass to accomplish what you want to do. Thus research is 99% frustration and 1% satisfaction (and the 1% isn't guaranteed)...researchers need to learn to live with the feeling of frustration. (2) Almost no one will care about what you do...yes they might say “oh that is interesting that you do such and such”, but they will never want you to share any real details. Typically people will ask what I'm getting my PhD in, and I'll respond with mechanical engineering...that is all they want to know, even though that actually doesn’t tell them anything about what I do. I honestly don't expect anyone to care about it, and typically avoid answering when specific questions are asked because it is boring even to me. The problem with this is that sometimes when the frustration builds up you just want to complain about it, but who can I complain to…I have plenty of great friends that would let me whine in their ear, but what I need is someone that can give advice and knows the situation. Thus there is no relief to the building frustration and you just have to hold out until you get lucky and actually have some success with your work.

One of my professors during my undergrad told me that the only reason an American would ever get a PhD in engineering is if research is the only thing they want to do because there are just too many options available to us. Sadly I believe that I am one of the hopeless fools that just have to do research because I love that 1% and couldn't see myself doing anything else.

Man my last two entries are kind of depressing. Honestly I’m actually quite happy with my life…seriously it isn’t as bad as it sounds…I’ll write some funny ones soon.

5 comments:

beneathwing said...

First, you don't have to tell everyone that I didn't come to work this morning. Geez.
Thinking about quitting is so common. It has become a negligible influence on me. Now whenever my consciousness tells me to quit my PhD, which happens like 4~5 times per week for the past few years, I just ask it to shut up or make it drunk.
It's always nice to have someone who knows exactly the situation and gives the right advice, at the aspect of research, relationships, health, or life. Most of the time there will be disappointment. But in return, we are becoming stronger and smarter ourselves.

Kaci Jo said...

i do research because the professors are cute...j/k:)

Anonymous said...

If ur thinking about changing ur mind, the above is a link to anonymous media research...talk about nobody knowing what ur doing...man this is where its at. Something about it scares me tho, so ur going 2 have 2 let us all know if u decide 2 do it...just u know, a little heads up.

1-2-3 science !!!!

Elbow said...

So anonymous media research seems like a pretty shady industry. Basically they spy on everyone to find out what they do...I think I could pursue this. If only I knew who posted that comment so I could have more discussions with him/her about this major decision.

1-2-3 Sports

Anonymous said...

Take heart! True story from today:

I was (am) stressing about my exam tomorrow for "Protecting Human Rights in International Law." The law school tries to puff us up w/ how smart and important we are and so there I am thinking "how can I ever be a super-duper important human rights lawyer when I'm probably going to fail my exam?" Here's where you come in. I then recalled that in my endless pursuit of random information on the internet, I came across the titles of your research, courtesy of your umich site. When I saw them I was shocked - I couldn't undersand 1 word in the titles! I would seriously need a dictionary to even read the title, and then I still wouldn't really get it. I'm getting to a point, I promise...

Anyway, my thoughts in remembering this today progressed as follows: a) I'm not that smart, b) I am smart, but just in a different way, c) isn't it cool how God gave us all different things to be good at?, and d) so I should keep on w/ what God's led me to do. Moral of the story - there's probably some reason God has lead you to pursue a PhD in something that others will never understand, and to be good at it - so keep it up, even if sometimes it's frustrating and you're not sure you're cut out for it!