Thursday, April 20, 2006

My Special Day

Well today is my birthday...this makes it number 25. So this would be a great opportunity to reflect on my life and share a few birthday stories from my past. Instead I've decided to share some history about this day (and surrounding days).

You see as I've grown up and paid extra attention to this day I've noticed this trend that is a bit disheartening. When I was really young I decided to try and find out what kind of awesome people share my birthday. Well the only really famous person that I could find was Adolf Hitler (not exactly the kind of character you want to share anything with...even a birthday). Not to mention the fact that on his birthday Nazi troops decided to have a huge massacre of Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto. This however didn't get me down too much...I figured who cares if you share your birthday with one of the evilest men of all time.

Well then between the ages of 12 and 18 three major national tragedies happened within a day of my birthday. First in 1993 (April 19th) the FBI standoff with the Branch Dividians in Waco, TX came to a bloody end with numerous deaths. Two years later (April 19, 1995) some terrorists (a few from near my hometown) decided to blow up the Alfred Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Finally four years later (April 20th, 1999) the deadliest school shooting in US history occurred at Columbine High School in Colorado. So with this trend I was starting to consider it a good birthday if no major tragedies happened within a week of my birthday.

A few other (less horrifying) items highlight my birthday. I believe it was my tenth birthday when the basement in our house flooded and we spent my birthday trying to salvage our belongings. Plus there is one special yearly event that falls on my birthday that was unknown to me until late in my high school years. April 20th (4-20) happens to be national pot smoking day...this has had some interesting (mostly humorous) effects on my life. Such as when I first turned 21 and no one would believe that my ID was real because it was 4-20. I would frequently be asked to show additional identification for over a year. Even still to this day I show my ID and the common response is 4-20...cool, haha. This really isn't a bad thing since I find it a little humorous and it helps my friends remember my birthday.

Well happy birthday to me...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation :-) Happy 1/4 100 :-)

beneathwing said...

Happy Birthday, again. :)
So there are at least two blogs just for your birthday.
Isn't it overwhelming?

Anonymous said...

"I believe that's 223 in trinary"

beneathwing said...

not 221?

Elbow said...

Tommie prefers binary so ternary (trinary) might confuse him...it is 221 in ternary. However I do believe he knows that...therefore it might be a refer to something stupid I said...you never know though.

Anonymous said...

What I have written I have written.