Monday, November 19, 2007

Salt Lake City - Day 2

Day two highlights...
1) I gave both of my talks today at the conference and everything seemed to go pretty well. I was pleased that at the end of each talk there were plenty of questions (meaning at least some of the people aren't asleep) and when I was leaving the conference room a professor that I know from his research (he had no clue who I was before my talk) came up to me and was really excited about my work.
2) I was then pushed to give sushi a try by my advisor who loves it and claimed he could find something I would like...sure enough I did like what I had (Dem so I guess this means we can go have sushi some time...hmmm I wonder if I shouldn't have told you and then acted like I was just being really nice offering to go...I'm young and still have things to learn).
3) I then decided to go for a run so that I could check out some of the area and get some exercise at the same time. I immediately started heading for the mountains (well more like large hills compared to the rest of the surroundings). As a result my run quickly became a jog and then shortly after that a walk...steep climb, high elevation, hot day, and I'm not in that good of shape. However I just keep heading towards this one peak because it had something on top of it...then I decided to attempt to reach the top. The final way was pretty difficult for me since I was getting pretty tired and the climb was starting to get pretty steep. Then I finally hit the top and found out it was the location that Brigham Young first climbed to when arriving to survey the land. It also turns out that there is a trail that goes up the back side making it really easy to reach the top...I'm kind of glad I went up the steeper side. So I didn't have a camera so I couldn't take any pictures from Ensign Peak, but I did find a website linked them for you...

Little monument constructed to remember Brigham Young and others surveying the land

Wasatch Range...western edge of the Rocky Mountains



Salt Lake City downtown with the capital building at the bottom of the picture

The Great Salt Lake

4) I was asked this evening to give a talk tomorrow. While it is a good thing that I get more face time in front of the fluids community, I'm a little more concerned because the talk is in an area that I haven't personally done any research in...we'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

demoreeann said...

Yay, Sushi! I think you're instincts were correct - i probably would have felt bad dragging you to a sushi place! Yum.

Anonymous said...

Steve is always right!