Sunday, November 18, 2007

Salt Lake City – Day 1

I have now completed my first day in Salt Lake City for the Applied Physic Society 60th Annual Division of Fluid Dynamics Conference. Sounds like a blast I know, but honestly with the exception of the swirling tower of fire it hasn’t been anything special. Even though there isn’t that much to share and I should be working on my presentations (plural because I’m now giving two talks…one of which I was asked to make on the flight to Salt Lake City…fortunately I’m a good grad student and always have data that I wasn’t expected to have), I will give you a few highlights from my trip so far.

Hightlights…
1)
A nice view of some mountains from my hotel room. I believe there are better views but need to get away from our location to see them...hopefully tomorrow.
View from my hotel room.

2) Salt Lake City is a very unique city and I think I can only express this with a few observations I’ve made.
i) Front page headline of the Salt Lake Tribune “Utah less Morman than ever”…down to 60.65% (that’s just Mormon not Christian).
ii) I walked past a bridal dress shop called “LatterBride”
iii) The city seems so ordered and disciplined…I can’t even bring myself to jay-walk here (seriously multiple times I’ve started and just didn’t feel it was right)
iv) Salt Lake Tribune…”More citizens [Utahns] pack heat in plain view”

3) Swirling Tower of Fire!!!
I'll give more details later and (assuming I can figure it out) video of this, but now I must get to work. Enjoy some photos of the swirling tower of fire.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am imaging a group of smokers standing around the fire. How convenient!

demoreeann said...

Wow! The mountains look beautiful.