Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reflecting

Three years ago today I moved from Kalamazoo to Ann Arbor. It's interesting to reflect back on how much things have changed in my life over such a short period of time. I’m really amazed at how much personal growth in my life has taken place. I would say the only area of my life that I wish I was taking better care of would be my physical health (not that I’m doing that poor of a job, but I think this has been the longest streak in my life where I haven’t been seriously committed to getting in shape). I decided to transfer to Michigan in large part because I felt that I could have stayed at WMU for my masters without having too much difficulty, but if I went to Michigan there would be a good chance that I would struggle to keep my head afloat.

Even though I told everyone that I wasn't sure if I could make it at Michigan, in my head I was pretty confident that I was going to do great. I envisioned getting all A’s my first semester, convincing a professor to let me join their research group, and basically just cruise right through my masters. I then went to my first few classes and realized that I was sadly mistaken. Probably within a month of that first semester I was quite convinced that I didn’t belong in grad school and was just hoping that I would be able to scrape by and get my degree. I was so fortunate to have gotten a position at Langley Research Center for the summer following my first semester because there I gained confidence that I was at least an average grad student. I then returned to Michigan for the fall semester ready to do much better, but unfortunately my grades were even worse than the first semester. I didn’t loose heart though because during this period I began working for the research group I now work for…it was only hourly but there was a chance for an assistantship if I did a good job. I guess I did good enough work turning wrenches because at the end of the fall semester I was offered the research assistantship (for those that don’t know that means I get paid to go to school).

Ever since that point I’ve done much better in all areas of academia. I even managed to get a 9.0 the following semester (yeah Michigan grad school is weird…it uses a 9 point scale instead of a 4 point scale). The one interesting thing about the grades is that ever since I got the assistantship I haven’t worried at all about grades, but I’ve been getting higher grades (this is really weird if you consider the fact that I miss a lot of class due to work related trips). Actually if I think about that I get a little depressed because I really worked hard to get those lower grades. I think one possibility for this is that during the first two semesters I really didn’t believe that I could make it…so instead of just working hard I was always wondering if I belonged. I actually think this maybe the biggest advantage to me coming to Michigan for grad school…if I had stayed at WMU I would always being wondering if my success (assuming I would have done well) was only the result of being at a smaller university (I mean no disrespect to WMU here…I love the school and received a fine education from them).

I doubted if I had made the right decision coming to Michigan for over a year, but now I know it was the right thing to do. I say that not only for the reasons listed above but also for numerous other reasons.

3 comments:

beneathwing said...

I would definitely say you made the right decision! Otherwise, where the heck should we meet?!

It has been a true honor for me to be among the people who witnessed the changes in your life.

And the most important, thank you for being my friend and sharing your world with me.

Anonymous said...

Eventhough I know that you had your doubts we knew that you had in you you just needed to believe in your heart! Congradulations in all that you have done and will do. You have grown into a great person with a kind and understanding heart!

Anonymous said...

I know one other reason you're happy you came here! (oooooh!)

:)