Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Prayer

I’m currently reading a book by Philip Yancey entitled Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? I think most “good” Christians would quickly say that prayer certainly makes a difference, but how so. Can anyone honestly say that every prayer that they’ve prayed has been answered in a satisfactory way? I was raised with the attitude that a no is just as much of an answer as a yes, but with that attitude pray still doesn’t make sense because God is going to do what He wants regardless. If He is going to do what He wants why bother Him with what we think would be a good idea. This is where I’ve often struggled to understand prayer…what am I asking for. Even when I truly want something with all my heart I pray for it with hesitation because my stronger feeling is that God’s will be done. I may want something to happen, but perhaps if that actually happened it would prevent someone from being saved…do I want it that badly.

In spite of that confusion I pray frequently (probably closer to constantly than periodically). Right now I’m praying for an uncle who has a mysteries health problem, two friend’s fathers who are fighting cancer, close friends that have health problems, my grandfather who is going through a tough time, and the list goes on and on…why? Some groups take the “name it and claim it” attitude, but I certainly don’t understand how they can hold that view. In their opinion if a prayer isn’t answered then the person praying didn’t have enough faith…well then I would like to hear how they explain that Jesus’ prayer to have the cup taken from Him (I’m referencing the Garden of Gethsemane prayer) wasn’t answered…did Jesus not have enough faith at that point. So I certainly don’t pray in hopes that my faith would be strong enough to “force” God’s hand to move.

The stock answer that is given in almost any book about prayer as to why we should pray is that we should because Jesus did. I certainly believe from an intellectual standpoint it is the trump card that says hey if the Son of God prays and says we should then just do it. However on this topic I have more of a personal response (at this point I want to make it clear that prayer is probably the biggest unanswered question for me but I’m going to share my two cents here). For me prayer is my time to share my heart with God…it is kind of like a couple telling each other about their day. So I approach prayer with the attitude that I’m going to tell Him all about those I’m concerned about, where I’m struggling in life, my hopes and dreams, and everything else that I would tell the love of my life. I know He can do miracles, and I do believe that He does miracles. So I will pray for them whole heartedly, but my faith isn’t dependent on how they are answered. I’m simply honored that I’ve been given the privilege of sharing my own life and concerns with the Him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your opinon on prayer. I pray because if gives me comfort knowing that God is listening and that he cares enough for me to allow me to share my thoughts with him. I know that he already knows what I think but it is the human factor that I need to consciencely remind myself threw prayer that he is always with me. And with that it assures me that he is with me.

beneathwing said...

You made a good point here.

beneathwing said...

about the relationship between prayer and faith.

Actually there were times when some of my prayers were answered and I didn't feel right about it.

I definitely believe that the evil side also listens closely to what we pray for and wants to manipulate that.

To me, it's important that I should be aware of God's will and try to be honest with him when I pray for something for myself. So I won't give devil any chance to trade my heart.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I do believe that prayer can change outcomes of situations. I think that God's Will is for the best ending to come from any situation, but I believe our prayers can help make that happen or alter how that happens...

It's like in "Waking The Dead"- every time that dude in trouble prayed, God sent a fleet of angels... his prayers weren't answered right away because the angels got into battles along the way, but the prayers elicited a response from God that wouldn't have been there otherwise... and eventually the angels saved the dude.

I don't know- I definitely agree that God uses prayer as a way for us to connect with him, but I think there can be more going on, too. If God's Will was so planned out and rigid, then we couldn't really exercise our own free will, right? Because God's Will would trump our will every time... and we can use our free will to ask God for things or choose not to...

Anyways, there's definitely much to discuss here, so next time you're around, let's chat! (If you're not too distracted, of course!) :)