Thursday, December 28, 2006

Lists

In the past I've commented on my love for lists...I've even made a list of the top reasons I love lists, but I've never really written an entry dedicated to them. My love for them have grown over the past year in large part because they are the only thing that keeps me being productive on a day to day basis. I typically only have large goals with deadlines that are in the distant future, and no one really checks up on me on even a weekly basis. This won't be a problem but I'm actually quite lazy unless I feel pressure...I respond well to pressure but don't respond at all without some pressure. So I have relied on my good buddy the list to help me out and keep me accountable each day. So each day I make a list of jobs that I want to get done on that day and then feel I need to get everything done that day. Thanks to my competitive nature I will not stop (regardless of how late it is when I start) until I finish my list for the day. I even put on my list for today to write a blog entry...honestly I won't have written it if it wasn't on my list.

Since I only listed my top 5 reasons I love lists as a comment I will repost it here as an official entry....

1) Affords me the opportunity to use numbers while writing
2) I like organization...even though I don't do much of it
3) Can convey information quickly to others
4) They simply rock
5) Allows me the chance to just put my thoughts without connecting the thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right in front of me are several pages of list of things that need to be done in the near future.

Although I was never able to finish them within the time limit I set for myself, list did help me work harder on some degree. I would call it my friend too.

However, my reaction to pressure is a little different. I would definitely do nothing productive when there is no pressure. When there is too much pressure, I would choose to ignore it.

It is good for my health. At the same time, it's probably the reason why I didn't graduate.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I make a ton of lists, but never really check anything off. I think that I get a nice sense of peace just knowing that the task is written down. :)

I admire your persistence, tho!

Elbow said...

Wow I only make lists so that I can cross stuff off...heck I even add things that I totally don't need to do just because they'll be easy to get crossed off.

Mrs. Starman said...

I guess we have another thing in common. I OFTEN get side-tracked, but my daily list of tasks keep me moving forward. If it wasn't for my need to mark items as "done", I would just surf the net all day long.