Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Becoming a Doctor

Sorry I haven't been updating much anymore. The reason is that I have neither time nor content to write. I'm in all out dissertation writing mode. Each week I have to submit a rough draft version of one quarter of my dissertation and each section is pretty much independent of the other sections...so its like write a publication each week. Anyone that has written a publication knows how crazy that really is. Typically a publication takes a few months of back and forth between two of the authors, and that is usually starting with like a conference paper or something. But I'm getting there now that I've submitted rough draft versions of 75% of my dissertation and 25% is pretty much in a final version. In order to get this done I've had to keep a rather simple schedule:

10am: wake up
10am-1am : shower, get cleaned up, read bible
11am-noon: go to the internet cafe, check my email, say hi to Dem
noon-7pm: think/analyze/write
7pm-7:30pm: find dinner (or eat what Dem has given me to eat)
7:30pm-11pm : think/analyze/write
11pm-11:30pm : talk with Dem on the phone
11:30pm-4am : think/analyze/write
4am-10am: sleep

That is the typical schedule though on Tuesdays and Thursdays Dem and I typically go running in the evening and Sunday I go to church and spend some time with Dem. Also I've been able to spend a little time with friends here and there (drove to Pigeon to vote, short visits for birthdays, hospital visits, taught some advanced fluid mechanics, and the Red Wings tonight!). Hopefully a week from now I will have a rough version of my entire dissertation, and if I'm able to do that then I have a reasonable chance of defending in early December...wish me luck.

6 comments:

Mrs. Starman said...

Good luck! Have fun tonight... you need some time to recharge.

beneathwing said...

I never had a single doubt that you won't be able to make it.(I hope I said it right)

Go Brian!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!! enjoy your break at the Wings game!!

demoreeann said...

soon!! :) you are doing a great job. i admire your diligence and your hard work - it is going to pay off. you are fantastic!!!

belbing said...

Sherry you didn't say that right...at least I hope you didn't, unless you were trying to say that you are 100% confident that I can not finish my dissertation.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck little Bro