Wednesday, October 08, 2008

An excercise in (im)perfection

I just realized I only have 2 days(!!) until Brian takes back the reigns of his blog, so I really need to get moving on posting more.

I thought I'd take a moment to show what i did this past weekend while I was at my parents house in Lake Ann.

I made an apron!



This was pretty much all. I slept(morning naps!) and watched a little football(...) and sewed.

I enjoy sewing, but i am a beginner. I can count the number of times I've sewed on one hand. I cannot sew straight. I run into the kitchen every five minutes to ask my mom questions. But, I finished the project with almost no help from my mom (she didn't ever do anything for me, she just talked me through stuff- what a GREAT teacher). When I finished the sewing, though, I realized that I was really happy with what I had made, proud of it, and it wasn't perfect. It is an APRON, crying out loud, it is meant to get dirty, the topstitch doesn't need to be perfect.

It's good for me to look at this and other things I've attempted lately and realize how far I've come. I don't like trying new things that I don't know the outcome - especially if it doesn't look promising or I have doubts about it. in fact, this causes me a lot of anxiety; but I guess I just have to trust that it doesn't have to be perfect.

Cue sappy music.

Roll credits.

:)

5 comments:

beneathwing said...

As an engineer, I have to point out that although you have shown your experimental setup, described your procedure, and made your conclusion, one thing is missing here --- a picture of your result.

belbing said...

congrats on the apron...can't wait to see the final product.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! I use to sew all the time. But once I went back to work that stopped. Can't wait to see the finished results.

Mrs. Starman said...

Congrats on the finished product! It's fun when we unlock our hidden talents and surprise even ourselves.

Unknown said...

Very colorful. :o)