Monday, March 17, 2008

Another Experiment Completed

In the middle of January I wrote a post stating that I was back in the lab doing a "small" experiment to investigate diffusion in a boundary layer. Well it turned out to be much longer and challenging experiment then originally thought, but today I'm glad to say I have finally completed it. The bonus is that I believe there is some pretty interesting stuff in this data set. Obviously I now need to do the full data processing (I did some crude processing to make sure my data wasn't garbage but will be redone) and data analysis, but at least I'm out of the lab (my legs are very happy about that since the number of cuts should significantly decrease for them).


My model with some rhodamine dye being injected into the boundary layer.

The tunnel I used for my experiment (the lab doesn't really look this clean, its an old picture).

4 comments:

beneathwing said...

What was the flow speed while the picture was taken? The boundary layer growth looks sweet!

demoreeann said...

hooray! no more leg-cuts!

Elbow said...

yeah, no more leg cuts!!!

The flow speed I believe was about 6 m/s with a very high injection rate and high dye cocentration. I was actually just doing this to get an estimate of the boundary layer thickness for my setup.

Mrs. Starman said...

my head hurts