Saturday, December 01, 2007

A Week of Firsts

This past week I had to first...
1) Gave my first lecture
Thursday morning I taught my first class. It was an advanced fluid mechanics class and I gave them an introduction to turbulence. Fortunately I enjoyed it since I plan on becoming a professor.


Two images I used in my first lecture. (Left) Milk drip into water that's upside down and (Right) atomic bomb going off...check out the similarity.

2) Gave blood
I had planned on giving blood when I was in high school but never did because I didn't want to miss practice. Then in college I just couldn't bring myself to do it, and over time I built a weird little phobia. It isn't that I have a problem with blood or needles, but I really hated the idea of having a needle stuck into my vain in my elbow. Then last month Ciara conquered her fear of flying by flying to Florida and when I was taking her to the airport I told her if she gets on the plane I'll give blood. So her and I went on Friday and gave blood. As it turns out I give blood really fast...it probably took less than four minutes to take the test samples and the pint of blood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it mean that your blood is less viscous than others'?

Anonymous said...

Congradulations on your week of first. It always feels nice when you accomplish something that you have planned to do for awhile but just seem to get it the task at hand.

Anonymous said...

It means that either my blood is less viscous or the pressure difference between my vains and the atmosphere is greater than most...my pump is better.

Anonymous said...

Or your veins are larger so that the pressure loss is smaller. :))

Mrs. Starman said...

Congrats on your firsts!
Interesting fact... I give blood very quickly as well. Usually between 3-5 minutes. I know that I set a record in high school for the quickest pint. Something in the genes?

belbing said...

Rey - yes I remember you had set a record for quickest blood letting (I like to call it that). In fact I was telling Ciara when I was giving blood about how when I was in grade school I wanted to see if I could break your record. I suppose it will never be known, but I think you are correct...Elbings are quick with giving blood.