Sunday, June 17, 2007

Thanks Mom and Dad

It is Father’s Day and so first off happy Father's Day dad. However, since I didn’t write much on Mother’s Day I figured I would take this opportunity to give both my parents some well deserved appreciation.


I’m sure I can speak for Rey and TC when I say that we’ve been so blessed to have such wonderful parents. The three of us have turned out pretty well (if I don’t say so myself…well even if I do I still believe that), and we owe much of it to our parents. I can tell you right now what they would say after reading that (or are saying while reading it), “Oh you guys were just good kids.” Well parents today need to take more responsibility for their children so that means my parents as well.

The more I’ve thought about it the more I realized that they raised us in the same fashion as how God has “raised” humanity, which is probably the reason for their success with us. They made sure that we knew the difference between right and wrong and encouraged us to make wise decisions, but they never forced us to do anything. There was no legalistic approach to raising us…we were to do the right thing not because there was some major consequence if we didn’t but simply because it was the right thing to do.

God has pressed on all of humanity this sense of right and wrong. Currently I’m reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and the first section of the book focuses on how true this is…I also recommend Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis for those interested in understand the Law of Human Nature. Even though God has told us what is right He doesn’t force us to do it. He actually gives us the freedom to choose to follow or disobey.

This also illustrates the true purpose of the law. It was not for God but for us all along. The list of rules and regulations wasn’t so that God would be happy with us, but that life would be good for us here on earth. The more we follow God’s commands the better our lives are. In the same fashion since my sisters and I have choose to listen to our parent's instructions and learn from them our lives are all the better for it. Paul says it best in Ephesians 6: 1-4.

Ephesians 6:1-4
1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2“Honor your father and mother” – which is the first commandment with a promise – 3“that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”


This leaves one very important question…if the parents or God know better why don’t they/He just force the children to follow. Well here I guess I have to break up the analogy because while they both have the same result they do have different reasons.

Why doesn’t God force His will on humanity…simply put because he didn’t want toy soldiers. God actually does have the power and ability to force us to do whatever He desires, but His true desire is a loving relationship with us. If He were to give us as much free will as a rock then all he would have are a bunch of robots programmed by Himself to play with. We could never choose to love Him unless we also had the object to reject Him and His will.

On the other hand parents don’t have the power or the means to force their children to do what they say all the time. Some may attempt to impose their will on the children but they are domed to fail and the child will resent them for it. Now I’m not implying that parents shouldn’t discipline their children, but that they should choose the appropriate disciplinary action carefully depending on the child and situation.

I thank my parents for giving us the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them and as a result of it I believe all three of us have a wonder relationship with both parents that is full of love and respect for both sides.

Thanks mom and dad!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, you are a good kid. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank You so much for being great children to raise! You are all just a joy to both of us!

Mrs. Starman said...

Ahhh... the splendor of free will... by the way... AE still couldn't resist the "great children" comment. Funny.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brian for those kind words. I know I speak for your mother, when I say that it has been and honor, and a pleasure to watch you children grow. By the way, you guys helped us grow too.