Thursday, October 26, 2006

Schedule

My schedule is all out of whack…or maybe a better way of saying it is that I don’t have a schedule. There is no structure to my week, and there is a major advantage to working late a night (no one else is awake so I can be tasks to do stupid side jobs). As a result I usually start off getting up around 8:30am on Monday (I have class at 9:30am), then each day I’ll work later and later. Two nights ago I worked till 4am, last night I worked till 5:30am, and tonight I might even hit 6am. The only real problem with this is that I have class at 9:30am on Friday. So each week by the time Friday hits I’m completely exhausted, which is a real problem when like last week I had a midterm exam.

As a result I’ve been contemplating developing a new “schedule.” The idea would be to change from a 24 hour day to a 25 hour and 40 minute day. That way every two weeks I would start over on my schedule, and the real plus is that I would pick up a day of work every two weeks. I really think this would be easy able to implement because in a two week period I have less than 10 hours of scheduled appointments (class and meetings).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think getting more sleep would be a great idea and nessary for good health. I know this sounds like a Mom thing but that is what I do.

beneathwing said...

Haha, I wonder if you are really going to do that.

I am still a little confused by your plan. So did you mean that by Friday you should be able to hit the class without any sleep (work right through then go back home for sleep around 12pm)?

Well, I guess you are still in your night zone now.

Mrs. Starman said...

Clearly you are exhausted! Why would you want to make the day longer? You would choose to work longer. If you can not seem to get to bed now, what makes you think that you would if the length of the day changed.

Get some sleep.

Elbow said...

I think everyone is missing the beauty of this plan. Now I could do this while still getting the same amount of sleep (the extra day was only if I'm really busy). The difference would be if I planned it carefully I would be able to actually get a decent amount of sleep each night. Currently I always have at least one day a week were I get like 4 hours of sleep...that is what I would try to correct for.

Anonymous said...

do it.....

Anonymous said...

By saying "each night", did you mean "every 25 hours and 40 minutes"?

Elbow said...

The each night would refer to the 25hrs and 40min day, but the amount of total sleep for the two weeks would equal to my sleep if the day were 24 hours.

Now this isn't polyphasic sleep...I won't be doing the Kramer method. My idea isn't an original either...Mitchell Feigenbaum tried a 26 hour day. He eventually gave up on because he couldn't stand waking to a setting sun. My idea would only be a very temporary thing...well the reality is that I'm not disciplined enough to pull this off.

Anonymous said...

You know, it will help readers like me to understand better if the equation you used could be posted.

From what you described, it does sound plausible.

Mrs. Starman said...

I think that if you spent as much time sleeping as you have defining how your 25+hr day would work, the point would be moot.

Mrs. Starman said...

When daylight savings time ended and you turned back your clock for one hour, you came pretty close to your 25hr40min day. Any changes?

Anonymous said...

Elbow - what's up man, from the sounds of it, you are... at 6AM on a tuesday, wednesday, and thursday. What kind of slave hours do they have you working these days? I don't agree with your 25 hour 40 min day. I think you should work a bit less and sleep a bit more on the traditional 24 hour time frame. Nature would get the best of you, you are a mamal and you respond to the rotation of the earth. Give me a holla next time you are awake during normal business hours. I'd like to hear from ya. Matto

Anonymous said...

Well, it appears that the circadian rhythm of a human being is actually closer to 25 hours... so, little did you know that your class schedule was set in order to help your body really optimize its sleep/awake cycles! We don't give U of M enough credit. :)

I think you're on to something!